Wednesday, May 02, 2007

It's sometimes lonely promoting the virtues of individual rights. Nothing can be more clear to me than the fact that we live in a post-liberal world. The idea of live and let be is gone and the new age of happiness manufactured through good governance is upon us. So, one might ask, why bother really? What is the point of railing against the inevitable?

Well the answer to that is that there really was something to what the Founders envisioned. The thought that the sum of individuals, operating in their own self interest, can manage themselves and that Government's only task was to preserve the rights of those individuals. That these wars, these national debts, these shortages of resources, they are all nothing more than symptoms. Symptoms of big government, not our leaders, but the only possible result of bureaucratic rule. It's the system, not the officials that are corrupt.

There are also occasional moments when you find a person who agrees and puts those ideas into words better than I can. My only disagreement with the man is that the Republican party never WAS the party of limited government and maximum personal liberties. From the word go it was the party of Internal Improvements through Federal corporate welfare and fighting any wars necessary to meet those ends.

The biggest scam in American history may be the Republicans claiming to be the party of the Individual.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/opinion/columns/article_1673189.php

Breaking up with the GOP

Is the battle of individual liberty against big government over? A lot of Republicans seem to have declared 'mission accomplished'
By STEVEN GREENHUT

Senior editorial writer and columnist for the Register

Have you ever been in one of those destructive long-term relationships that, at some point, you really just needed to end?

I'm not referring to my marriage to my lovely wife of 23 years, but to my 25-year relationship with the Republican Party. In recent years especially, I have found fewer things in common with the party. I feel used and abused. We've obviously grown in different and incompatible directions.

It's a groan-inducing cliché, I know, but it applies here: I didn't leave the party; the party left me.

I grew up in one of those East Coast Democratic households, where FDR, JFK and even LBJ were lionized, and where the GOP wasn't so much loathed as ignored. I never met an actual Republican – at least anyone who admitted as much – until I went away to college. I became a Republican during Ronald Reagan's first term, having been inspired by his appeals to liberty, to his recognition of the freedom-stifling aspects of big government, to his unabashed embrace of the traditions of America's founders.

Reagan never actually rolled back government, but I can forgive a failure to achieve lofty aims. I cannot forgive abandonment of those aims. And it has been obvious for years, especially under the leadership of our current Republican president and our previously Republican-controlled Congress, that the "pro-liberty" stance has become nothing more than an applause line at those syrupy Flag Day dinners.

Under Republican leadership, the federal government has expanded – without even including war-related spending – far more quickly than it expanded under Bill Clinton. And when it comes to security matters, Republicans have been zealous in giving the feds additional powers to trample our privacy and liberties. Republicans have been unwavering in their support for embarking on nation-building experiments of the sort that traditional conservatives would abhor. The presidential candidates most committed to a muscular central government – Rudy Giuliani and John McCain – are leading the pack.

Now even the rhetoric of freedom is mostly gone. Most "mainstream" Republicans don't talk about liberty anymore. The advocates for this emerging New Republican Party are becoming surprisingly outspoken. A good example is New York Times "conservative" columnist David Brooks, a former editor at the Weekly Standard, the neoconservative journal that shilled vociferously for war in Iraq. (Hint: The results of that policy might offer some warning to Republicans before they jump too quickly on his latest advice.)

In a column reprinted today (beginning on Page 1 of Commentary), Brooks rebutted those of us who argue that "in order to win again, the GOP has to reconnect with the truths of its Goldwater-Reagan glory days. It has to once again be the minimal-government party, the maximal-freedom party, the party of rugged individualism, and states' rights. This is folly."

Obviously unaware of the ever-growing Leviathan around him, Brooks claims that the old days of oppressive government are over. The idea of limited government – that silly, fuddy-duddy notion advanced by our Constitution, and ensconced in the Bill of Rights – is so 18th century. Time for something more appropriate for our time!

He's got a new idea (actually, the oldest of ideas, the one that says that government and power are what matters, and that freedom and individualism are outdated). And he's even got a catchy slogan for it. He calls it, Security leads to freedom.

Forgive me a Dave Barry moment, but I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. Doesn't this sound like something out of an Orwell novel? War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Security is freedom. Brooks argues that the "liberty vs. power paradigm" is passé. Government doesn't necessarily mean less personal liberty, he writes. Modern voters aren't worried about an overweening state. Instead, the public wants to be protected from the complex modern threats to their existence: "Islamic extremism, failed states, global competition, global warming, nuclear proliferation, a skills-based economy, economic and social segmentation."

Maybe a large segment of the public wants those things, but it's the job of statesmen to lead the People, to frame the relevant issues, to set a course that is at times bigger and more noble than the current small-scale debates – not just to slavishly follow the People's basest desires. By the way, I'm not picking on Brooks per se, but using him as an articulate example of a form of thinking common today among many in the GOP.

Has the world been turned on its head? I see no signs that the classical liberal thinkers were wrong, that government is no longer wasteful, abusive and corrupt. Government continues to grab a larger share of our resources, even as it becomes less capable of doing its legitimate jobs with any degree of competence. Yet Brooks and others like him believe that the government can save us from all our neurotic worries, even ones as nebulous as "economic and social segmentation" – whatever that means.

When people are secure, Brooks wrote, they are "more free to take risks and explore the possibilities of their world. ... People with secure health care can switch jobs more easily. People who feel free from terror can live their lives more loosely. People who come from stable homes and pass through engaged schools are free to choose from a wider range of opportunities."

At this point I want to tell the People to grow up already. Brooks' point in the paragraph is true enough. But – here I go again with an arcane notion – in a free society, individuals need to take care of these matters mostly themselves, rather than to plead for bureaucrats and politicians to take care of things for them.

Our government is based on the radical idea that government should be limited to a handful of tasks, most of which revolve around protecting our natural rights. These are negative rights. They implore the government to leave us alone to pursue our own dreams and desires. Positive rights demand a positive response. If I have a "right" to education, then you must be forced to pay for it or provide it for me.

Traditionally, Republicans believed in negative rights. Yet Brooks thinks that's a mistake. He writes that the GOP needs to be "oriented less toward negative liberty (How can I get the government off my back?) and more toward positive liberty (Can I choose how to lead my life?)."

Instead of worrying about government spending, and regulating and snooping and launching foreign wars and eroding our civil liberties and imposing crushing tax burdens, and all those silly old fixations, Brooks argues that Republicans have to compete with Democrats in appealing to every soccer mom's desire for more social programs, more regulations, more protections from hobgoblins. He argues, in a refreshingly albeit frighteningly direct manner, for the final, total rejection of the American founding experiment.

Sure, the Republicans will focus more on terrorism and security issues, and the Democrats will focus more on health care and domestic regulation, but in this Brave New Paradigm, no major party will echo the words of that outdated crank, Thomas Jefferson, who argued that "the sum of good government" is one "which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned."

Perhaps that world already is here. Which is why I'm divorcing myself from the Republican Party, and keeping my distance from any group that doesn't place the defense of liberty as the prime goal of the political system.

23 comments:

Crystal Starr said...

Scott this article is so great! I love hearing from someone who was actually in the Republican party. I think that it gives him great credibility.

It was really scary to read this because just a year or 2 ago I didn't know much about politics and I would have classified myself as a Republican. Basically because I'm pro-life. But then my eyes were opened and I just can't believe how naive I was.

It's scares me because so many people are like me. They call themselves something and they don't even know why.

People hate talking about politics and want to give up on the whole thing. Do I think there is hope for change in this country, not really. BUT am I going to waste my vote and vote for people I KNOW are not fighting for me freedom and the freedom of my children.

People want to call us losertarians and we may not win very many elections BUT at least I can sleep at night knowing that I didn't just waste my vote.

I guess I'm just annoyed with all the corruptness and all the disgusting things going on and so little people are aware. It's jut become this Republican vs. Democrat thing and it makes me sick.

Not sure what this has to do with your post I just went off on a rant I guess. And you're comments looked lonely...

Anyway, great post!

Sadie Lou said...

One thing about not having cable that stinks is that I was unable to watch the debates last night. It was the Republican debates. I heard, on talk radio, that they were all very civil to one another (unlike the Democrat debate) which lended itself very nicely to the idea of "We're all in this together". I heard there is a VERY good libertarian candidate that's starting to get some media buzz--too bad he probably has zero percent shot at *ever* being president. First name Tom? Maybe? Do you know who I mean?

Sadie Lou said...

John Clifton--sorry. Too bad he couldn't debate.
:(

Crystal Starr said...

I wanted to add that I really respect people who are Republicans, Democrats,Libertarians, or whatever who really believe it their party and know what they're doing. Does that make sense? I just get sad that so many people just vote by party and not know why. Just like I did. So I'm not going to be so judgmental anymore starting now. BUT I'm going to sure as heck ask people why they think what they think to make them think? Ya know, after all the way they vote effects ME!

Crystal Starr said...

I just checked out John Cliffton a little and he looks pretty cool.

http://www.electclifton.org/

Scott said...

It's scares me because so many people are like me. They call themselves something and they don't even know why.

Yeah, because the American political system is not based on principles. It's based on perceived traditions. The Democrats are for the poor and minorities, the Republicans are for Family values and... I'm not sure what else. Of course neither of these are true, but it's what is generally perceived so the average American votes accordingly.

Sadie, one of the guys running for the Republican nomination is a libertarian (and an Austrian on top of it!). He's a "republican" congressman so they had to let him in on the debate. You can watch the clips of him here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ctukv

Clifton is good people. I've seen him speak before, not personally but on the Internets. I can see him getting the Libertarian nomination, but that won't probably be decided for quite some time.

Andy said...

Hey Scott,

I was curious as to whether you favored Ron Paul.

Andy

Scott said...

I like Ron Paul quite a bit.

He's for a neutral, non-interventionist foreign policy. Instant full withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan. He's for ending the drug war. He's for eliminating the Federal Reserve. For a commodity backed dollar. And he annoys everyone in congress by actually following the Constitution.

What's not to like?

I actually wrote about him a little bit here, and will probably do so more in the future.

Crystal Starr said...

I like Ron Paul too, so far he's got my vote!

Anonymous said...

There's only one Republican I like - Ron Paul. The rest as far as I'm concerned suck.

I can't stand Bush. I don't like the War in Iraq (we should be going after bin Laden 100%), I don't like the whole War on Terrorism, which is a war on our Rights, I don't trust him with Guns. He even said he'd sign that stupid Clinton Gun Ban if it came on his desk. Luckily it didn't. he's horrible on fighting illegal immigration, protecting the environment, how he's a globalist and a fake patriot, and he's the worst spender we've had since Carter.

The biggest scam in American history may be the Republicans claiming to be the party of the Individual.

If they're the party of the individual, the Democrats are the party of gun rights.

This was a good read. I'm proud to say I voted Libertarian last Presidential election.

Scott said...

If they're the party of the individual, the Democrats are the party of gun rights.

Indeed.

Glad to see you didn't waste your vote last election.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you didn't waste your vote last election.

I like what Camille Paglia said - the only wasted vote is the one not cast.

Peter Wantstobe said...

Someone said "Glad to see you didn't waste your vote last election."

Speaking from past experience I'm afraid that is just what you are doing.

In 1992 I was disappointed with the government. George Bush SR. vs. Bill Clinton with Ross Perot as the rebel independent running with a new vision for "less government". So I thought I'll show them a thing or two, I'm voting for Perot. Well you know who voted for Perot? Mostly people from the "right" (Republicans and Independents) side who wanted to make some changes.
Weds morning the results came in......

Clinton got 43%
Bush got 37%
Perot got 18%

So Clinton won by 6%

If people like me weren't being so righteous and sent our votes to Perot I am sure the swing would have been more than 6%?
That day I remember feeling boy am I a nut.
I so much felt like I wasted my vote!
I'll never make that mistake again.

God is good, All the time.
Jeff

Scott said...

Yeah, but Dad, your analogy is based on the assumption that things would be better somehow if Bush HAD been elected rather than Clinton.

I don't see how that could be possible, especially if your mindset going into the election was that you "wanted to make some changes." There will be no change until a different party is elected, or the system is dramatically changed. The debt will keep growing at an astronomical rate. So big now that it'll never get paid off. Who is going to suffer for that? Bush? Clinton? Obama? Of course not.

A wasted vote is one that is cast for the wrong person. If you are disappointed with Government, if you think things need to change, a wasted vote is for a Democrat or a Republican.

I'm glad to hear though, that you WERE disappointed with the Government in '92. We'll have to talk about that sometime to see if we can build on that discontent. :)

Sadie Lou said...

There's so much corruption with both of the big parties, Dems and Repubs alike, that to vote for either of them is a wasted vote, as Scott points out. I'm sick of both parties. Change is going to happen when both of them lose and a third party is able to clean house.

Peter Wantstobe said...

"Change is going to happen when both of them lose and a third party is able to clean house."


That's my point exactly. I cannot see the third party winning in any election?

Thus you are waisting your votes.

Sadie Lou said...

I see your reasoning but maybe that's why a third party will never win. Because nobody believes they can?

Crystal Starr said...

"I see your reasoning but maybe that's why a third party will never win. Because nobody believes they can?"

Exactly.

Peter Wantstobe said...

Well Sadie thank you for making me investigate. I found out that when I voted for the independent in 1992 it was the highest vote count an independent has received in over 100 years. And even then he only got 18%, a lost cause. Wasted votes.

I'll tell you this, Ross Perot was a lot more promising than Ron Paul.

By the way Ron Paul has run for President before, 1988 he got 0.5% of the votes.........................................
"Maybe if we all believe a little harder?"

Here are what some past Independent Candidates have received in total votes over the years...................

2004 - 1%
2000 - 4%
1996 - 9%
1992 - 18%
1988 - 1%
1984 - 1%
1980 - 7%
1976 - 2%
1972 - 2%
1968 - 13%(high bigot turn out)
1964 - 1%
1960 - 0.5%
1956 - 0.5%

C'mon people, wise up......Please don't waste your votes?

God continues to bless me, All the time.
Jeff

Scott said...

C'mon people, wise up......Please don't waste your votes?

So then which candidate wouldn't be a wasted vote?

Peter Wantstobe said...

That's simple...........

OK, consider it voting for the lesser of two evils.

That's better than not voting at all?

Sadie Lou said...

Peter--
That just sounds like compromise. I believe in voting for who you really want. I see your point but what are we supposed to do to wake people up to the possibility of a third party?

Crystal Starr said...

http://www.ypa.org/article.php?article=0030

"The Third Party Myth

Author: Aaron Bitermans
Date: January 1, 2001

The biggest objection by allies to voting for a Third Party is the "wasted vote" argument -- the idea that if you vote for someone who will not win, then the vote does not count.

Join any third party and merely suggest that another person consider voting for a third party candidate and you will hear, ad nauseum, "I don't want to waste my vote."

Before delving into the extent of the wasted vote myth, one myth must be addressed first:

Myth #1: Third party candidates are never elected to public office.
Look at the Libertarian party to disprove this fallacy (if Jesse Ventura wasn't enough proof already).

The first elected Libertarian state legislator was Dick Randolph, who was elected in 1978 (just seven short years after the founding of the Libertarian Party) in Alaska. Randolph was re- elected in 1980 along with Alan Fanning, another Libertarian, to the Alaska state legislature. In 1984, Andre Marrou was elected to the state legislature of Alaska to join the two other Libertarian officials.

In 1987, Libertarians were elected to every seat on the city council in Big Water, Utah.

In 1991, New Hampshire state legislators Calvin Warburton and Finlay Rothhaus resigned from the Republican Party and joined the Libertarian Party. They were joined on the New Hampshire state legislature in 1992 by Donald W. Gorman and Andy Borsa. In 1994, Jim McClarin was the next Libertarian elected to the New Hampshire state legislature. Donald Gorman was re- elected in 1994 and served until 1996.

Meanwhile, in 1992, Bonnie Flickinger won election as Mayor of Moreno Valley, California. Numerous Libertarians were elected to city councils from this point on. Additionally, since 1992, Libertarian mayors have been an up-and- coming phenomenon.

In 1998 alone, nineteen Libertarians were elected to office, including Vermont state representative Neil Randall.

Thus, to date, over 300 Libertarian officials are currently serving in office in the United States.

Now that it has been proven that many Libertarians are elected, the next myth will surely come into play.

What is a Wasted Vote?
An unprincipled vote is the only wasted vote.

Voting for a third party, contrary to popular belief, is not a wasted vote.

What is voting? It's a chance to tell the country -- and perhaps even the world -- what your vision of government and society really is.

But how do most of us vote? Do the majority of those who believe Harry Browne or Ralph Nader is the best candidate, most in tune with our own feelings, actually vote for them? No. Instead, most of us vote the "lesser of two evils" -- a defensive vote, rather than an offensive one.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

So what happens after you vote the defensive vote? Well, then you have sold out your personal beliefs. You have become a political prostitute. You aren't standing up for what you believe in by voting "the lesser of two evils".

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being a political hooker. If you think the Republican or the Democrat really does best mirror your beliefs, by all means, vote for that candidate. But if you don't, and you still vote for them, you're helping to preserve the status quo you probably despise.

Remember, You Never Decide the Winner
On statewide races (larger than city council races), there is a single important point to remember: You as an individual will never cast the deciding ballot! Hence there is no reason to vote for the lesser evil.

Most of the time we hear the wasted vote argument most in precisely the races where it applies least. For instance, the presidency of the United States.

A presidential race will never be decided by one vote. And if by some mathematical chance it got that close, it would be decided through the Courts and through lawsuits.

If you go to the polls for the purpose of casting the deciding ballot in major races, you are making an irrational decision. The chances of dying en route in a car, plane or meteor accident are far greater than the chance of casting the deciding ballot.

So What's the Point of Voting?
We as individuals don't vote to select the winner.

As a practical matter, we vote to tell everyone else which choice best represents the direction which we want the country to go. When you vote, you gain a certain power that a non-voter doesn't have: the power to change America.

Hence voting lesser evil sends the wrong message; it's sending a message of compromise. In effect, a defensive vote says, "I will settle for a good America, not the best America possible." I urge you not to settle.

Remember, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten. In other words, if you want change, then create change.

Even if once in your life you missed the chance to cast that mythical deciding ballot, the harm from selecting the wrong person in one election is more than offset by a lifetime of giving voter support to the lesser of two evils rather than standing up for what you believe.

The history of third parties in America is that they serve as the vanguard for new ideas. It is these ideas that make the world go round. If a Third Party begins to draw votes, one or both of the two big parties steal their ideas.

Socialists Can Teach Us Something
The most successful third party in the 20th Century was the Socialist Party. While never winning any significant elections, their small but growing vote totals were a threat to the Democrats. Thus the Democrats, and then later the Republicans, adopted piecemeal every major tenet of the 1916 Socialist Party platform.

Libertarians are the opposite of the Socialists, but they find their success instructive. The radical ideas about liberty that began in 1971 are now being seriously debated or, in some cases, implemented by the other parties. An increasing number of Libertarian votes is indeed noted by the politicians as well as the media.

So rather than waste your vote on Democrats or Republicans, cast a meaningful ballot that clearly says what you believe."