Sunday, May 27, 2007

Interview Meme

I volunteered to be interviewed by tshmom as part of this interview meme thing. Goes like this...

1) I've noticed, from your comments on my husband's blog, that you enjoy PC gaming. What's your favorite game?

I’m not too good at the all time favorite type questions. I usually can’t narrow it down to one game/movie/song, etc. I’m definitely a fan of PC gaming over the systems, though I have been enjoying my son’s Wii that was a gift from my wife’s sister and her husband. I think the game I’ve played more than any other in terms of hours is the John Madden football series, so I suppose that’s my favorite sport game. I like strategy games more than action games, stuff like SimCity, the Sims, or Civilization are always enjoyable. Though there have been some good times with a few action games like Half-Life or Mafia. So it’s really all over the place I guess. Like I said it’s hard to narrow it down.

2) What role do you fill, in the homeschooling of your children?

Beyond helping with homework I haven’t taken on any subjects yet. We’ve been focusing on the basics up to this point (reading, writing, math, basic science and history) but starting this summer I’m going to be doing more advanced history and philosophy. Plus I’m planning on doing a logic course of some type.

3) You seem to be a fellow history geek. What is your favorite period of history?

Nothing too ancient I suppose. I like the period around the American Revolution and shortly after, when Liberalism was somewhat at its peak. War times are of course always interesting, though its tough calling periods of mass death and famine that always accompany war as a “favorite”. The years leading up to World War 1 and 1919 are all very fascinating, just to see how much things were screwed up for the whole World by just a handful of men.

4) Do you cook? If so, what is the best meal you prepare?

I do cook, though not all that often. My best recipe is a slow cooked chili that I make with steak and NO beans. Beans are the worst thing you can do to good chili.

5) What's your idea of the "perfect" vacation?

lol vacation

Really we’ve never been able to afford much of a vacation. Even our honeymoon was a two day trip to Iowa. Yeah, Iowa. The only thing we’ve ever done really is take a trip to Washington D.C., which really was quite enjoyable. I guess I like road trips with the family. Not all that exciting, I know, but we have a good time. I’d like to drive to California with the family, that’d be fun. Anything is better than the way I’ve spent all my vacation time this year and last; in a hospital room with my daughter.


Well that wasn’t too difficult. A nice break from all the politics and what not. I think I’m supposed to offer to interview anyone else, so if you want 5 questions of your own say so in the comments and I will supply them.

Later.

8 comments:

Crystal Starr said...

=), ah that was quite an enjoyable read for me, I just think you're so cute!

I would love to be interviewed by you so give me some questions!

dbackdad said...

Vacation to Iowa? mmmm. When I was there the idea was always to get away from Iowa. Living there over half my life was not a vacation. lol.

Where abouts in Iowa did you go? I'm originally from Red Oak (going back for my 20 year high school reunion this summer) and went to school at Iowa State.

Post your chili recipe sometime. I consider chili one of my specialties and would love to try yours.

Cool interview.

Scott said...

Dback, we stayed in Dubuque and spent half the time there and half our time in Galena, IL. Not exactly an island paradise, but you take what you can get when you're getting married at 19 without a penny to your name.

I post the chili recipe soon, gotta try and dig it out though.

Crystal, I'll do your questions in a bit.

Crystal Starr said...

Thanks Scott you're sweet.

Anonymous said...

Always nice to take a break from politics. And a good thing you are homeschooling your kids. I'm currently sending Junior to a public school, which rates really high in SAT scores (well, the high school it's a feeder to), but unfortunately indoctrinates kids into political correctness. It's been a challenge telling my son some of the things teachers teach him are just plain wrong.

A lot of teachers in public schools are just plain dumb as well. I've felt like handing back their assignments with their spellings and grammar corrected.

tshsmom said...

Great answers Scott!
We were married 24 years before we took our first "real" 2 week vacation. It took us that long to save up for it. ;)
We thoroughly enjoy going on weekend camping trips. It's a lot easier to enjoy your family when the pressures of work and household chores aren't right in front of you.

No BEANS in your chili?! That's my favorite part.

My best friend's family is from Dubuque!

Scott said...

Thanks tshsmom, and thanks for leaving a comment.

24 years? Well we've only got 14 more years to wait for a real vacation then. :)

Slayer,

Haha to the teacher comment. I'm sure that's not just at public schools though. Right? (I think) hmmmmm

Crystal Starr said...

I make mistakes all the time but its just a part of learning...spelling has nothing to do with how smart you are or how well you can teach or anything it's just a total memory thing. You either have it or you don't, it's just that simple. Thank God for dictionaries and spell check!

We have gone on tons of vacations dear. We have gone to places with my family and yours. We have even had one amazing AMAZING vacation with just us and our kids! We went to Washington DC and that was the best vacation I've ever had! We were able to go because we got super cheap prices for a great hotel and everything in DC is free to go to! So we're doing pretty good babe. BUT BUT BUT I do wish we could have another honeymoon!