Saturday, June 18, 2005

A peculiar occurrence at the grocery store

Today while getting the weeks supplies at the local supermarket, I noticed a preponderance of tables set up with samples. You know the kinds, crackers in the snack isle, ice cream in the freezer section, and little sausages in the deli. Normal stuff. That is until I reached the end of the store. The section they keep the non-grocery items at. Medicine, magazines, soaps, shampoos, that type of thing. Oh, and alcohol. It was there where I stumbled upon a table with a middle aged woman standing behind it. I was so shocked by the samples she was offering I simply stood there in awe. I think my mouth might have been hanging open. She must have noticed me staring, because she kindly offered, "Would you like a sample?"

There on the table before me stood several bottles. Next to them were little plastic shot glasses. I'm not a drinker, not even beer, but the labels were familiar enough to me. Jim Beam. Absolut. A few others I didn't recognize.

I finally came to, smiled, and politely turned her down. Turning, I walked away shaking my head, more in shock and disbelief than in disapproval.

I'll not make any social commentary on this other than to say I thought it quite odd.

4 comments:

Crystal Starr said...

That is weird honey but it sounds like a good time to be had at the grocery store.

Scott said...

Yeah, they had a little sign that said you had to be 21.

Crystal Starr said...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY HONEY! I love you! You are the best dad in the whole world.

Crystal Starr said...

mmmmmm...challah bread.....

Every time I see you profile pic it makes me want that bread!