Monday, June 19, 2006

What's So Inconvenient About It?

Well, Roger Ebert had his go at Al Gore's upcoming bit of propaganda known as An Inconvenient Truth. It's no surprise that Ebert would like such a film as he once referred to the "documentary" (I only refer to it as such because that's what people tell me it is) Fahrenheit 9/11 as "compelling."

Maybe most interesting is this quote from Ebert's review:

Global warming is real.

It is caused by human activity.

Mankind and its governments must begin immediate action to halt and reverse it.


The sky is falling! Save us Big Brother!

Scare tactics are certainly nothing new to big government fans. Who can forget the technique that Bush used to drag us into the war in Iraq? I'm sure Gore would have opposed the use of such tactics then, when it was some one on the other side of the aisle but he seems to be rather fond of them now that they support his mission.

Of course he would tell you that it's for the greater good (just as Bush did) and it's something that we all need to worry and panic about, but not everyone is quite as convinced as Mr. Gore would have us all believe.

I'm sure much of the science behind his claims is correct, even if grossly exaggerated. I'm sure humans have contributed to altering the environment. But Al Gore is dead wrong about how he would deal with such a problem. The truth is technological advances brought about by "evil" corporations in their "greedy" quest for profits will result in cleaner, sustainable cars, homes, agriculture, etc. The governments of the world will only continue to impede that progress through excess taxation.

Anyway, I'll go back and update the points from all your last comments when I'm feeling less lazy. The only reason I posted this is I was compelled by an e-mail my aunt sent me and this is pretty much copied right from my reply to her.

13 comments:

Swinging Sammy said...

well, you must get the same drivel I find in my in-box.
You know, if you send this on, and add your name to the end, perhaps bill gates will send a nickel to aol to pay Bush to bring our troops home a week sooner, and then the missile that south korea is building will be filled with peace cranes instead of nuclear warheads.

Crystal Starr said...

Scott,

Seriously!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, John does worship for the church, I think. At least, that's what my wife says his last name is. Also, this stuff about Gore is amazing. I love it.

sdixon82 said...

Actually, I told Jon you guys said hi! He asked about Emily and I had to explain that I don't "know you" per say, blah blah blah, blog, blah blah blah. He got the gist of it and I kinda looked like a dork.

I will respond with my thought about Gore later. peace out.

sdixon82 said...

I said...I'm quitting blogger and xanga because no one reads my things anymore. At least no one comments.

sdixon82 said...

Like I said before, I'm not much into politics, at least not as much as I should be.

I agree with your comment on taxes: "The governments of the world will only continue to impede that progress through excess taxation." The reason for America's independence today goes back to taxes (No taxation without Representation.) Although we don't have the "representation" problem, I sometimes fear that our govt. is bringing back tax problems just like those it fought against.

That's about all the givt. I've got in me for today.

stc said...

The sky is falling! Save us Big Brother!

I'm no expert, but I think the scientific consensus on global warming is pretty extensive. You never get 100% agreement on anything, so a few nay-sayers doesn't count for much, in my view.

In other words, perhaps the sky really is falling.

But I sympathize with the other half of the statement quoted above. If our salvation depends on the government, we're in big doo-doo.

And I should know: I work for the government (of Canada)!

sdixon82 said...

ok here's the short interpretation:

I'm of mixed decent, I went to school with some kids who were not of the same decent that I was. Then one day this woman, as you would say, "frivolously accused me of racism" just because I didn't have change to gve her. And it made me so mad.

So this poem was actually an assignemnt for a class, we had to write about something that happenned to us that week.

You understood the poem, there is nothing deeper. I'm not big on hiding meanings.

A+ Scott, A+.

Peter Wantstobe said...

Hi Scott.....

What's up with Emma Sue?

Sadie Lou said...

is it wrong that I'm kinda excited there hasn't been much fun being had over here while I've been gone?
no. it's not wrong.
Just wanted to say hello!

"hello"

Anonymous said...

So, when do we get to see the scoreboard?

Anonymous said...

so I guess we all win since everybody has 0?

Crystal Starr said...

We were gone camping all weekend so that is why Scott is slacking on the points update and his blog.

=oD