Saturday, June 03, 2006

Boredom

Well I see political cartoons don't bode well for comments around here.

Maybe it's because you think I'll deduct points from you if you post a comment with a dissenting opinion. Not so! In case you haven't noticed the points system is all just a joke and I wouldn't actually give people negative points for really disagreeing with me or my political beliefs.

Maybe it’s because you’ve known me long and well enough to recognize my penchant for vigorous debate. Well the fact is that I’ve learned quite a bit about myself over the past 6 months and one of the things I’ve found is that I never really had much respect for people with differing opinions then my own. And I decided quite quickly that this wasn’t the kind of person I wanted to be. In fact, after finding this flaw I’ve made some what of a personal goal to bring differing sides of opinions together and help them learn from each other. Especially Christians. I’m not exactly sure how to do that yet but I’m thinking. But to start I’ll at pledge to do my part to hold all dissenting opinions on this blog with the utmost respect.

Maybe it’s because you only comment on my blog when the proverbial carrot on a stick is waved in front of your nose in the form of Tomato points. Very well then, I’ll award those precious points to anyone seriously commenting on the cartoon, the Libertarian party, or politicians in general on the previous post. Have at it.

Maybe it’s because you really couldn’t care less about the Libertarian party or politics so you won’t comment on such things anyway.

Moving on, the reason I’m even fishing for comments is that I’m incredibly bored. I usually have all sorts of home projects to work on to fill my evenings and weekends, but as it is I’m plum out of materials. And more importantly, out of money to buy new ones. There’s all sorts of stuff I need to do of course; such is life when you live in a 150 year old house. My current projects list is as follows:

1) Install closet doors in all three up stair bedrooms.
Why I can’t: Don’t have the doors yet. The ones I want will total $800!

2) Tear down and rebuild main staircase.
Why I can’t: I still have to design the new staircase and order some parts from work.

3) Buy carpeting for the up stairs.
Why I can’t: I don’t want this done until the closet doors are installed and the staircase is redone.

4) Rebuild our front porch steps.
Why I can’t: Need to design steps and buy wood.

5) I’d like to get started on building a central air conditioning system.
Why I can’t: Our house doesn’t have duct work and I don’t know how to do it yet, but I’ll learn soon enough. Can’t be too hard.

That’s kinda the list I’m staring at right now. And that doesn’t even count the gardening work that needs to be done. Ugh!

So the being broke, coupled with the desire to work has put me in a state of anxious melancholy. And every minute sitting here with nothing to work on makes me more anxious to work on something.

So entertain me with your comments!

I’m putting up a somewhat somber toned song to couple with my somewhat somber mood. Pardon the f-bomb in the middle of the song and don’t listen/download if that’s the sort of thing you’re easily offended by.

"I heard of pious men, and I've heard of dirty fiends,
but you don't often hear of us ones in between."

14 comments:

Scott said...

Eric: 6500 points

Swinging Sammy said...

All right, I downloaded the MP3, and I will listen to it tomorrow after church, I am tired, and I have to be in the prayer room early so have a nice nite, don't get too bored. Duct work in an old house can be pretty complicated, my brother in law has a house built around 1850. He bit the bullet and had some professional HVAC guys come in, because he wanted the highest efficiency possible. Enjoy

Crystal Starr said...

Scott this song gives me a headache but I still love you.

Um...since we are so poor these days and out of materials you can um...design the stairs and the stairs. Ya, that's just an idea.

Oh and just to remind you what the porch we liked in Chicago looked like that we wanted our front steps to look like.....click here. This way other peoplez can see them too if they wantz.

Anyway thanks for working so hard today even though you didn't have any fun house projects to do. And I think that it is SOOOOO awesome that you are going to put in our central air system and ducts. If anyone can do it, it's you! You are just the BEST BEST BEST!!!

Also you look really cute sleeping right now. =oD

Oh and one more thing, I totally disagree with you about you not respecting different opinions. I know for a fact that you did/do respect different opinions. We talked about that often and I know that wasn’t your problem. I think it is more the way conversations go sometimes and not what the disagreement is about. I don’t know how to explain that though. I’ll give it a try though… You are always so interested it what other people think and why they think it. I am just thinking of some really amazing talks that you have had in the past where you and the other person/s didn't agree but the discussions were so fascinating to you and you walked away excited. I'm thinking of James (when he was a Jehovah’s Witness), The JW's that came to our apartment all the time to talk to you about their beliefs, neighbor Joe, my entire family, your family. Scott you totally always respect other peoples difference of opinions.

I am thinking also of Aunt Missy. You LOVE talking with her and don't always agree but you ALWAYS enjoy your talks with her and feel heard and I think she feels heard by you. So ya I think it you lose respect when things just get ugly and no one is listening to anyone and it's just a matter of proving oneself right. Just like when we have issues and have to dialogue. We don’t always walk away agreeing but if we walk away feeling heard and understood and then we feel soooo good (I just heard the teen girl squad in my head after I typed that, hehehe) Does that all make sense?

And ONE more thing, I really like a LOT of what Libertarians believe. Especially less government involvement (and more specifically in schools). I would call myself a pro-life Libertarian though. From what I understand most Libertarians are not pro-life. Because that would go against this belief that I found on the FAQ on the LP website…” so we're in favor of people’s right to choose their own personal habits and lifestyles.” I want to talk more about all of this in person tomorrow I think it will be such a fun talk too. Love ya schmoopy *giggles*!

OK time for bed so I can get up for church tomorrow and feel all fresh eyed and bushy tailed.

Sadie Lou said...

If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting

Jack Handey
(Deep Thoughts)

Sadie Lou said...

Us Ones in Between has a Niel Young meets David Bowie, sound. I liked it. While I can see why it has a somber tone to it, the tinkling chime-thing gives it a whimsical-somber-ness.

Crystal Starr said...

Scott Scott bo bott banana fana fo fott me my mo mott, SCOTT!

sdixon82 said...

ok I left you a really long comment about music and libertarianism and it is not on here.

Scott said...

Saadiie, I think you're right, the song certainly gets hopeful at the end. One of the reasons I love it. Nice observation.

Sadie: 16 points

Crystal, Thanks for posting those pictures of the stairs so I don't have to look through our 10,000 pictures trying to look for them. Very helpful.

Crystal: 8 points

Sarah, I know how dejecting that can be. That's happened to me more times than I care to remember, sometimes after writting for over an hour. Awfully frustrating. I feel bad about it and I'll give you points for your trouble, but I'll give you more if you come back and repost some of it.

Sarah: 20 points

I should probably give Eric some more points for his nearly perfect critique and Sammy some points for haveing a prayer room I guess.

Eric: 10 points
Sammy: 4 points

Crystal Starr said...

You spelled having wrong.

Sadie Lou said...

New Post! New Post!
This comments contest is funsie.

Crystal Starr said...

Postie postie!

sdixon82 said...

Well, unlike everyone else who posts comments for you, I didn't like the song. I actually got the same feeling I do when little kids sing songs in scary movies and then go psycho or write scary things backwards on mirrors. I liked some of the lyrics though.

Also, I'm not too into politics so I've no comments on libertarianism.

Thank you for the pity points, I am going to try and score big on the above post.

Swinging Sammy said...

It was the prayer room at the church, I am on the prayer team, and we take turns going in early to pray w/ people if they need/want it.

Crystal Starr said...

That's really cool Sammy. You are such a gifted prayer warrior!! =o)