Tuesday, January 20, 2009

American Empire Celebration Day: New King Edition



It's awfully hard for me to hate a man on a personal level who wears a White Sox hat, takes pot shots at the Cubs and their fans, and sends random text messages to his friends saying nothing more than "Sox!". I'm just immature like that, I make no apologies.

Though no doubt Obama will do his best to make me despise the man as he does immoral act after immoral act that damages the life, property, and liberty of millions of innocent individuals, I will make every attempt to be fair in my judgments. And will no doubt find myself defending the man from time to time as I've defended Bush in the past despite my ill feelings for that man. I'm actually somewhat fearful of the next few years and the misguided and wrongheaded economic ideas that are being thrown around. I fear we are in for much harder times in the coming years due to the New Deal 2.0 that is being promised. But then, as my adorable wife has reminded me on several occasions, it's hard to imagine a situation in which the practical alternative would be "better".

Good luck to Obama, and G-d save us all.

7 comments:

CyberKitten said...

You think its going to be bad...? Worse than if McCain had won?

Scott said...

I do think it's going to be bad, yes. As to worse than McCain, re-read the last sentence of the main paragraph.

:)

Crystal Starr said...

I thought the inauguration was pretty cool to watch. It really was truly amazing to witness such a historical moment. How appropriate for it to be right after MLK day.

I am truly impressed by President Obama's person. I believe he is a good man and husband who TRULY LOVES his wife and family like crazy. He seems very authentic to me. Unlike John McCain.

Also I LOOOOOOVVED Rick Warren's prayer!!!! LOVED.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the African American people today. WOW!! What a historical day!!

CyberKitten said...

scott - do you think its going to be bad anyway... or its going to be bad *because* of Obama?

He's got a series of huge problems to deal with. I certainly don't envy the man!

Scott said...

Uh, well both? I mean I think things are already bad, so I can't rightly blame him for everything. But I do think he will make things worse despite his good intentions.

S.M. Elliott said...

On a personal level Obama and his family appeal to me pretty strongly. For one thing, like Crystal said, he seems like a good man. And his wife looks genuinely happy; she doesn't have that strained, plastic "God is punishing me for my mistakes" smile like Laura Bush's. The Obamas look, well, normal.

But will he be a great, or even a good, president? Dunno. I'm certainly not expecting great things, but I am hoping for them!

Scott said...

He is a president with a pulse. Whether that will translate to a more humane approach to foreign policy remains to be seen.