Monday, May 15, 2006

The Day After Mother's Day

Hello Crystal and blog world. I was going to send this letter to my wife privately, but have instead decided to post it here as public announcement so that everyone (Or at lest the 5 people who read this blog) can see what a great wife and mother she is.

Dearest Crystal,

Thanks for the loving note this morning. I really appreciate that you understood me last night and immediately took steps to fill my needs.

However, the thought occurred to me that, though you have not expressed it in specific words, you have a very similar need from me. Often times in your dealings with the children you express sorrow over my corrections of your interactions with them. I admit it frustrates me because I feel as though your attitude towards them is at times harsh and you fail to recognize that and own up to it. But as I read your letter I realized that, just as I could not own up to my faults in our relationship without you giving me credit for what I had done right, you are most like saturated and overwhelmed with feelings of failure in regards to our children.

What’s worst is I fear it is mostly my fault.

Throughout our marriage you have met and exceeded all expectations I’ve had in raising our children. And consistently I have failed to confirm that fact verbally. Our children are all obedient, intelligent, and loving. Even more important, they truly desire to do what’s right. I cannot stress enough how very important that is. 9 times out of 10 they will choose to fill other peoples needs before their own. THIS IS ALL YOUR DOING!!! You have taught them so well Crystal. You’re right. I have no fears as they face the future because I know that the values instilled in them will help them throughout their lives.

You’ve completely sacrificed everything for them. Your unselfish dedication to their lives is as honorable as any missionary, philanthropist, or servant. I’ve yet to meet any mother who is as in love with their children as you. Never have you complained about the cost you’ve had to pay for their care. The sacrifices you’ve made number in the thousands and are more than anyone can understand. I’m quite sure they will not be measured and repaid until heaven.

You’ve stayed dedicated to schooling our children as well. Maintaining their education throughout your pregnancy with Madison and even after when she was a demanding infant. You’ve yet to show any lapse at any period despite all of life’s demands. There is no one else I would rather have raising my children. You are everything I could desire in a mother to my children.

Please forgive me for my own shortcomings as a father. You’re right when you tell me I don’t connect with our children enough. I have so many interests in the world; too many. My attention is often divided and unavailable. I need to focus my time and energy on you and the children more often, and swear to do so more often.

Please forgive me for my shortcomings as a husband. I’ve failed to offer you my full support in the upbringing of our children. My criticisms of you have been unjust. I pledge to this day forth work with you, not above you, to raise our children and build you up as a mother.

I love you Crystal and happy day after Mother’s Day.

Love,

Scott Robert Kunze

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! that was just so sweet...made me want to cry!!!

**and very good for me to hear as i am looking at beginning schooling when brand new baby #3 makes thier way into the world, and i'm shaking my head going, i'm not sure i can do this....but then i see, crystal did, then perhaps i can too....

pressing on...

Happy Mom's Day Crystal!
~kristy

Steve Sensenig said...

That was very, very sweet! My wife and I have gotten to know your family a little bit through Crystal's blog and praying for Emily. It's our privilege to continue to pray for you all. May God bless you both. I hope Crystal is encouraged by this post. You said some really great things here in this letter, and I'll be praying for you as you live out these promises.

God bless,
steve :)

Crystal Starr said...

WOW! I just don't know what to say.

Ya, WOW!

WOW!

WOOOOOOOOWWW!!

Seriously, WOW!!

Oh my goodness, I can't think of what to say...

I am totally blushing right now and my heart is beating a million times a minute.

I could not ask for a better Mother's Day gift than that. I don't deserve any of your beautiful words! Thank you Scott. I love you sooooooooo much! You are the best father and husband in the world. I could never dream of anyone better or hope for anything better than you. I love you with all of my heart. I give you all of my heart.

OK really WOW, I am just overwhelmed right now by this.

Scott, thank you for this, just really truly thank you. I love you so much!!!!!!!! Can you come home now?!??!?!??!?!? Just kidding, I know you have to work. But boy do I want to hug the pieces out of you right now!!

WOW!

Sadie Lou said...

SWEEEEEEET!!
every mother's dream of affirmation right here in a post. My hubby does a good job affirming my efforts too.
Good job, Scott and Good Job Crystal.
How appropriate that I wrote a post on parenting from my own reflections. I hope you can find time to read it!
I love you guys!
Happy Belated Mother's Day (Crystal)

Crystal Starr said...

Scott, I really really love you.

Swinging Sammy said...

What a great testimonial. You two are blessed beyond comprehension to have each other!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

You guys are great! Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

even in norway, we read this post and find it touching and true.
Good luck to you both.
Take good care of each other, please?

Anonymous said...

Scott,
That is very touching and I agree that you have wonderful kids. I miss them!

Congradulations Crystal!

Love you both,
Mama Sue

Anonymous said...

Scott...

She really does love you, all the time, everywhere, she just adores you. The two of you -- thanks for inspiring others with your love.

Crystal Starr said...

It's true. ^

Crystal Starr said...

Time for a new brilliant post!

Crystal Starr said...

Thank you everyone who participated in Scott's gift to me. It really means so much that you did.

Kristen said...

*tears*

You guys are just awesome.

Crystal Starr said...

AWWWW...thanks Kristen!! We think you're awesome and I am just soooooooooooooooooo happy you're going to be a mama!!

Kristen said...

Thanks Crystal! :) It's so inspiring to have examples like you guys.