Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Emily Update 7-11-07

On Monday we took our daughter Emily to Loyola to take a "tracer" dose of radiation which is absorbed by only thyroid cells. Since she had her thyroid removed last February any thyroid cells left in her body will be cancerous. Tomorrow morning we will take her back the hospital for a scan of her entire body looking for any of the radiation left in her from the tracer.

The hope is that this scan will come back negative and we need not endure another dose of radiation treatment. If there is any thing left in her lungs we will be heading back on Friday to admit her for three days of isolation and her third dose of radiation in the last year. Which will be followed by another 6 month wait while the radiation does it's work then we start the process again looking for more thyroid cells.

This is pretty much the course of treatment we're in right now until things come back different.

Crystal and I are honestly pretty tired from this entire situation. Since everything started 16 months a go we've lost a lot of sleep, a lot of energy, and as anyone who's dealt with week long hospital stays and radiation treatment knows, a lot of money.

We'd give anything to see a clean scan tomorrow so we can begin to put this chapter behind us. But if not, we'll continue with whatever course of action our radiologist recommends and be grateful for the fact we've been so fortunate as to have an amazing doctor help us through this whole thing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just sat in on a circle of friends (about 15) in Guest Central, all praying for Emily's health and Mom and Dad's sanity.
God bless you all.

Love Pappa Jeff

Anonymous said...

Praying for you guys. No matter what tomorrow holds, God is still in control. God is good.
Your friends from Alaska,
The Jacksons

neal said...

I am new to your blog, having only come here after you posted on mine. I was unaware of your situation and can only say that I pray for the best. Both my parents, and my father in law died of cancer, so I know it is a hard situation to go through.

Anonymous said...

Emily and your entire family will be in our prayers tonight.

I hope you get a clean scan tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

BIG hugs from Alaska!!!!!!
Love,
Molly

CyberKitten said...

The *very* best of luck.

United We Lay said...

You are in our thoughts. If there's anything we can do, let us know. I know how difficult the Health Care system can be, so if you need experiene pointers, we've got 25 years of them.

Juggling Mother said...

I sincerely hope you see a perfectly clear scan and can look forward to happier times. good luck.

Anonymous said...

Radiation that attaches only to thyroid cells … amazing!

All my best to you, Crystal, and Emily Mae.

Ryan Boldt said...

Hi Kunzes,

I have been praying for you today!! Praying that scan will be clean and a full healing for Emily!

Praying God gives you the perservance and strength to outlast this trial!

Ryan Boldt

tshsmom said...

You've all been in my prayers for the last 16 months. I'm not about to stop now.
Keep us posted!

Swinging Sammy said...

I prayed for you today, and I hope to see a remission post tomorrow!

Scott said...

Thanks everyone!