Wednesday, October 05, 2005

We All Know What's Coming

This is so weird.

I've been a Sox fan since the 6th grade. I was there in '93 for the now forgotten 4-2 loss to the Blue Jays in the ALCS. I stood by in disbelief and watched Kelly Wunsh give up a game tying single to the Mariners late in the first game of the 2000 Divisional Series. An event that seemed set the tone for the rest of that short lived series.

And so, as Sox fans, we've learned are place in baseball. We're here for the rest of the American League to beat up on.

Unlike Cubs fans, we've grown rather accustomed to this position. And so, every spring when the Cubs fans are chirping how this is "their year," we Sox fans sit by silently and wait for the inevitable. Defeat. Oh sure, we'll make the playoffs every 5 or 6 years, whether we need it or not. But early exits and, well, not so much as a single home victory since 1959 has taught us well to reserve our hopes. After all better to downplay any success than to get your hopes up only to have them crushed by reality. See 2000. See 1993. See 1994 for that matter. See 1983. The list goes on.

But then there is this. And this is bizarre.

This is two overly impressive wins against the World Series champs. This is a game one slaughter matched only three times in play off history. This is a game two come back when their "big game" pitcher was practically perfect through 5. Easily the most exciting home run in my life as a White Sox fan. This is looking at the face of the other teams big sticks and striking them out in key situations. This is capitalizing on other teams mistakes. This is clutch hitting when we need it, and shut down pitching and defense against the most potent offense in the AL.

This is gut wrenching. This is tense. This is thrilling. This is exciting. This is fun.

This is not White Sox baseball.

And so, I will continue to not believe. I will continue to expect defeat. After all, this is the White Sox, the doormat of the American League. And they're the Red Sox. Proven champions. Manny Ramirez. Big Poppy. All Stars. Cy Young winners. There's just no way to beat them, and even if they do, what's next? The Yankees? The Angels? Both World Series champs in the last 5 years.

Winners, as in the opposite of the White Sox.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Red Sox fan, I hope you're right.

But as someone who got my first taste of White Sox pain the season after moving to Chicago from Boston in 82, I actually hope you get to experience what I got to experience last year.

But it's gotta go five, right? It's more fun that way....

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that the Red Sox don't have any Cy Young winners on the current roster. That honor left town with Pedro.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea of little faith...........
you must have more of your mothers genes than mine, that explains it!

Scott said...

Somebody check the temperature in hell. The White Sox just won their first playoff series since 1917. I don't even know how I'm suppose to react to this.

Scott said...

Oh, and Zalm, as much as I despise Wells, didn't he win a Cy Young or two?

Anonymous said...

go go go yankees!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nope. Boomer has a perfect game, but he's never put together a Cy Young season.

Congrats, White Sox fans. Your boys are on some kinda roll right now. Once I'm over tonight, I'll have my black and white on in time for Tuesday's game.

Crystal Starr said...

Dang it feels good to be a gansta!

dbrown said...

As a Cubs fan, I'm embarrassed by a lot of the 'this is the year!' talk. It's great to have faith and be optimistic, but I'm more interested in knowing the game and why I should have reason for optimism.

Your Sox surprised me. I didnt think Boston would go down that easily, if at all.

Would you rather play the Angels or the Yankees?

Scott said...

The Angels scare the crap out of me. I know the Sox could beat the Yankees, not saying they would just that they could. I really don't know if they can beat the Angels.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a game! game 3 inBoston. This mornings paper sayas Ozzie is a genius because he begged Williams for "El Duque" instead of Macarthy for the post season roster. I guess he is!!!

I was at work. had the radio on, and that 6th inning was one of the most exciting in baseball!!!!

I'm in heaven!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Starting pitchers go
8 1/3 - 9 and 9 innings, WOW!

Jack McDowell would be proud......