Monday, July 11, 2005

Silly Games

Which twentieth century philosophical novelist are you?

You are Ayn Rand!


Okay, so I didn't really get that from one of those silly web quizzes, and truth be told I pretty much loathe those things. But I have been reading The Passion of Ayn Rand, and I must say I've been shocked by some of the similarities in our personalities. Well, we're not that similar I suppose; she's an atheist, I'm a Christian, she was born in Russia, I in America, Ayn was a genius and I'm... well not, and of course she is, after all, a she.

Still, there have been some uncanny moments of, "Goodness, that's me," in reading this biography. Maybe the most obvious example is this one:



"Throughout her high school days, Ayn continued to be very vocal about ideas that were important to her. "I argued at the slightest provocation, whether people did or not want to hear. I criticized myself for this. I was very aware they didn't want to talk, and I was forcing the conversation. I knew it was wrong." Her passion for ideas, her conviction that they were of paramount importance, led Ayn, all her life, to "force conversations." One might make the mildest of off-hand comments - and suddenly find oneself engaged in an all night philosophical conversation about the wider meaning and implications of one's comment."



I don't know why it is I insist on "forcing conversations." I often find myself getting into uncomfortable situations with co-workers or friends after they say something trivial and I over react because it violates even the smallest of my principles. I can see it in the eyes of my victim friends. They really have no desire to talk about whatever subject is at hand, yet I continue driving my points home, in an oft times overbearing fashion.

I don't typically come out of these arguments conversations feeling too well about them. I can't say I usually make my point, or make them come around to my way of thinking. I do honestly try and hear other peoples opinions though, and then proceed to annoyingly force them to prove their points ad nauseam. I've learned people are more than happy to have their own opinions and not really know why they have them, or how to defend them. I have not learned to shut up and keep mine to myself.

I suppose it boils down to my desire to be right. I don't know.

Well, that's all for now, I've got important things to do. Thanks to Lauren, I've got a little game that I've become obsessed with.

9 comments:

Crystal Starr said...

I love this post Scott. Thank you so much for opening up and sharing a bit of yourself with us. I love your heart.

Jen said...

My goodness that game looks hard! I'll have to really check it out.

As for "forcing conversations" I hope you find a resolution. You've got a good start on it by examining why you do it. Hugs to you.

seegeepee said...

Wow...what a kinkydink. I also discovered sudoku yesterday, thanks to USA Today's feature article and addition of it to their puzzle page.

Don't you just love getting caught up in the next big fad with all of the people who read USA Today?

Anonymous said...

Wow! you did a great job with this website Jeff...

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

AYN RAND?
I read her over 20 years ago.
Go and read all the works of her native kindred Leo Tolstoy. That one is the real Genius.

All atheists are sick people who need to see the shrink.
And the most important of all to have an encounter with Jesus Christ.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

hmmmm..."philisophical novelist" sounds like a euphemism for "idealogue."

You should apply your mad skills as a reviewer to books! I like reading your music reviews but for most of that stuff it's as likely I'll hear the album as I'll run into the easter bunny, but I do get over to the library from time to time and am always looking for something new to read.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Oh yeah, I meant to add that atheists are often the most keen observers of human depravity (especially as it effects the church.) As such, we can learn from them and should not dismiss them out of hand. A great book on this subject is Suspicion and Faith: The Religious Uses of Atheism by Merold Westphal.

Scott said...

Yeah, I agree whole heartedly Kim. In fact, the majority of the acquaintances I have are atheists. Christians seem to think they own a monopoly on morality, I have found this to be untrue. One good friend of mine who is an atheist built an anti-pedophile organization that is single handedly changing the way police forces across the country attack predators. He's done the whole thing, spending massive amounts of his personal time and resources, without taking a single donation despite the offers of thousands of willing participants. Hardly the work of a mentally "sick" person.

It's good to have yo back Kim, someone has got to keep me in check around here.

Wildefrost said...

:) Addicting eh? I LOVE this game. Can't quite master it yet, but I'm working on it.