Sunday, December 11, 2005

Pressure Relief Valve

Everything I'd done up until this morning had just been bleeding the lines and messing with shut off valves in the system. Today I performed my first operation on the boiler itself. Since I was able to regulate the pressure and temp of the water yesterday, I set out this morning to fix the leak in the system. Water was coming out of the relief valve at a drip rate, even with no pressure in the system, so I knew the valve was bad.


The pressure relief valve is the thingie on the right with the 'L' shaped pipe sticking out of it. Notice the bucket under the pipe? That's what I've been dumping every hour and a half.



I had to use a pipe wrench with a pipe attached to it to get enough torque to pry the pipe off of the valve. Once that was off the valve itself came off pretty easy. Even though I had isolated the boiler and relieved all of the pressure in the tank, a lot of water still came gushing out when I got the valve off. I quickly grabbed the new one and screwed it on to cap that off.

This is the old valve. Bad valve! Bad!



The new valve doing it's job. Thank you very much.



I suppose I could have replaced the little "L" pipe that the valve lets out to seeing as it's all cruddy, but given out current financial situation and the fact that I don't know how much I'll have to spend to get everything running I'm just going to use the old one.

So that's it. Pressure relief valve is replaced and I now have a nice "tight" system. No leaks. Time to fill up the system with water and turn the boiler back on. Cross your fingers!

Success! Notice the bucket is now gone.

Total cost so far to fix boiler: $11

7 comments:

Steph Stanger said...

It's done?! It's fixed?! It's over?! Go Scott...kick ass!

(I have to use strong language to get across the degree of my excitement!)

Scott said...

No, no it's not fixed. It's less broke but it's still broke. We still don't have heat. I need to replace the aquastat because the boiler is still overheating.

Steph Stanger said...

oh man!! ok, Well keep kicking ass then!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so maybe we SHOULD have made you the official "fix it guy" over at Choosing Home. LOL!!! What a fun journalistic tour through your heating problems. *grins*

Steph Stanger said...

so whats going on now?!

seegeepee said...

I am deeply impressed by your mad boiler-fixin' sKyLLz, especially considering that you were starting from scratch. I think you and I are a lot alike in our desire to figure things out and fix them for ourselves, with the qualification that I'm probably a touch more lazy.

Scott said...

Thanks Chad, I think we're alike in a lot of ways. And don't worry; whatever you lack in motivation, you make up for in smarts over me.


And Molly, don't let them fool you. Plumbing and heating work isn't that hard. If it were, they'd have rocket scientists doing it instead of plumbers. (Nothing against plumbers, you could say the same thing about my job) Most things are just intimidating because of lack of experience. Once you try something it's usually pretty straightforward.